1. How many books have you written?
I’ve lost count! I guess that’s a good thing. I think I’ve written over fifteen, including non-fiction, folklore, and romance. I’ve also penned articles for Fate Magazine and a couple of Civil War history mags.
2. What was your favorite to write?
I enjoy writing romance the most. My favorite, so far, is Badcock. I loved the banter between the characters and how their love relationship developed.
3. If you could be in a relationship with one of your characters who would it be?
Oh my. I love them all. Particular favorites are Benton Smith in Gatekeeper, Stede Bonnet in Watchkeeper, and Bram in Bad Kitty.
I suppose each of my heroes is some aspect of my husband and real life hero. He’s got that perfect mix of respect for me, admiration for me, desire and love for me. Those things combined make a hero a hero instead of a character.
4. When is the ideal time for you to write?
I write any time of day or night.
5. How often do you get to write?
I can write whenever I want. The TV, cat, or kids don’t distract me. I’m often working out plot points in my head during the night or even while watching a movie.
6. Do you write by word count? Page count? A schedule? When you can?
I write when I’m inspired. I’ve never found it necessary to set a goal of so many words. Some days, I might hone a paragraph. Others, I might write 10K words.
7. Do you have a strange routine? A muse? Or anything to inspire you or get you in the mood-- to write that is?
8. Any advice for the aspiring writer?
Read what you write. Attend workshops and conferences. Learn the craft of writing. Use a thesaurus. Treat writing like a job. Submit your work!
Growing up in the south where the air is thick with stories steeped in legend and truth, Debra came by her love of romance novels honestly. Well…sort of. At an early age, she pilfered from her grandmother’s extensive library and has been a fan of the genre since.
A full time freelance writer, Debra especially enjoys combining history, mystery and a touch of taboo to weave stories with unforgettable, haunted heroes.
She lives in Alabama with her sexy real life hero, a couple of smart-aleck ghosts and a diabolical black cat.