Thursday, April 26, 2012

Aahh, already I have failed my commitment to blog every day for a year. As it turns out, it's much harder to write on a blog everyday than I imagined. Between schooling, cooking 2-3 meals a day, cleaning, tending to the critters, writing... yeah...

So, here it goes, I'm trying again. (If I blog 4 times a week, I will be satisfied.)

I'm re-reading WRITER'S YEARBOOK 2012. Kristin Nelson wrote an excellent article titled, "Sidestep the Slush Pile." The basis of the article is how to get your manuscript "right" and published. It's an interesting read. She points out where she stops reading, why and gives advice. I will not give away the article, but it is worth the money, if it's still on the magazine rack.

I attended a workshop similar to this. Three agents took two-three pages of your writing, read it aloud, then stopped when they lost interest. They proceeded to say why. It was a learning experience! You learned when was a good time to send a query, when it wasn't, why, etc.  It was an experience that keeps giving!

The article Nelson wrote was similar! And I did not have to join an organization to get it. To boot, I paid $5.99 for the magazine! Score won for the bank account!

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment